5 Steps to Growing and Developing your Team
We recently used this quote in a presentation we were giving and it got us wondering…. How intentional are most leaders at growing and developing the members of their team? Sure, as a leader, most of us know that growth and development of our team is a big part of “the job” and for most of us, that is the BEST part of the job. Yet, how many leaders leave it to happenstance? How many actually have a plan as to how they are going to help each member of their team grow and develop? How many leaders even know what their team member’s goals and desires are, their strengths and their weaknesses?
In today’s blog, we are going to share with you 5 easy ways to coach your team for growth and development.
1. Instead of telling your team what went wrong, ask your team “What did you learn from today’s performance?”
2. Ask your team member “What steps did you take to make this project successful today?”
3. Tell your team member, “This project I am asking you to do will be challenging, but I believe you can do it.”
4. Ask your team member “What can we learn from our competition on this”?
5. Challenge a team member to live out of their comfort zone. Growth happens when we step out of our comfort zone and push ourselves to do different things.
These 5 discussions will challenge your team member to think for themselves, encouraging their growth and development. Development isn’t just the highest calling of leadership, it is the answer to your companies continued success.